General Law city
Incorporated: April 16, 1954
City Hall: 5050 Clark Ave, Lakewood, California 90712
City Telephone: (562) 866-9771
Population (2010 Census): 80,048 (2000 Census: 79,345; 1990 Census: 73,557). For latest State Population Estimates, click here.
Population Density (2010 Census): 8,502.2 persons per square mile
Population Age 65+ (2010 Census): 11.4% (2000 Census: 11.9%; 1990 Census: 12.1%)
Population Under Age 18 (2010 Census): 24.3% (2000 Census: 27.5%; 1990 Census: 24.7%)
Land Area: 9.42 square miles (24.38 square kilometers)
Water Area: 0.05 square miles (0.13 square kilometers)
Founded in 1934 by Clark J. Bonner of the Montana Land Company and promoter Charles B. Hooper. The land was subdivided and originally named Lakewood Village due to its proximity to Bouton Lake, a body of water created by an artesian well accidentally opened by oil drillers. Developers Louis Boyar, Mark Taper and Ben Weingart purchased the area in 1949 to build a community for thousands of post-World War II families.
City in red below. Click on map for more detailed color map of county.