The Los Angeles County+USC Medical Center in East Los Angeles is one of the nation’s largest public hospitals and the nation's largest medical training center. In one year, the hospital will serve 39,000 inpatients, deliver 10,000 babies, treat more than 140,000 people in its emergency room, treat about half of all AIDS and Sickle Cell patients in Southern California, and handle 750,000 outpatient visitors per year. As the largest single provider of health care in Los Angeles County, it provides more than 28 percent of the County's trauma care. Its Emergency Department ranks among the 10 busiest in the nation. Many of its patients are severely injured and almost half of them are poor and uninsured. It operates one of the three burn centers in Los Angeles County and one of the few Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Units in Southern California. Its medical staff includes more than 500 full time faculty physicians from the Keck School of Medicine, 900 residents in training, and 1,600 other physicians. It serves as a training site for U.S. Navy physicians.
The original county hospital was built in 1878 and became affiliated with the University of Southern California School of Medicine in 1885. It then consisted of 100 beds, 47 patients, 6 staff members, and a $4,000 budget. In 1930, the 8-ton cornerstone for the current hospital building was laid (and dedicated by actress Mary Pickford) and the hospital was completed in 1933. The long-running television soap opera General Hospital featured the building in its opening scenes, making it probably the most recognizable hospital in the country. In 1968, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors voted to rename Los Angeles County General Hospital to its current name to reflect its partnership with USC. In 2008, a new 1.5 million square foot 600-bed facility opened to replace the famous art-deco building.
In 2014, the hospital had almost 9,000 employees and an annual budget of $1.5 billion.