Current & Past Strange Laws
in Los Angeles County
- Peacocks have the right of way to cross any street, including driveways.
- You cannot leave your car on the street overnight without the proper permit.
- Nobody is allowed to ride a bicycle in a swimming pool.
- It is illegal to wash your car in the street (passed 1995).
Hollywood (when it was an independent city)
- It is illegal to drive more than two thousand sheep down Hollywood Boulevard at one time.
- Cars are the only item allowed in a garage.
- It is illegal to curse on a mini-golf course.
City of Los Angeles
- It is illegal for a man to beat his wife with a strap wider than 2 inches without her consent.
- You cannot bathe two babies in the same tub at the same time.
- You may not hunt moths under a streetlight.
- It is illegal to cry on the witness stand.
- Toads may not be licked.
- It is a crime for dogs to mate within 500 yards of a church. Breaking this law is punishable by a fine of $500 and/or six months in prison.
- Zoot suits are prohibited.
- It is illegal to stage a bullfight in your backyard
- It is illegal to blow snuff in another’s face
- It is illegal to bath in someone else’s bathwater
- It is illegal to fly a balloon more than five feet off the ground
- It is illegal to wash your neighbor’s car without permission
- It is illegal to sit on an outdoor restaurant table
- It is illegal for a secretary to be alone in a room with her boss.
- You may not play percussion instruments on the beach.