General Law city
Incorporated: October 16, 1920
City Hall: 1600 W Beverly Blvd, Montebello 90640
City Telephone: (323) 887-1200
Population (2010 Census): 62,500 (2000 Census: 62,150; 1990 Census: 59,564). For latest State Population Estimates, click here.
Population Density (2010 Census): 7,500.3 persons per square mile
Population Age 65+ (2010 Census): 13.6% (2000 Census: 12.4%; 1990 Census: 11.9%)
Population Under Age 18 (2010 Census): 25.8% (2000 Census: 28.6%; 1990 Census: 27.1%)
Land Area: 8.33 square miles (21.58 square kilometers)
Water Area: 0.04 square miles (0.10 square kilometers)
Harris Newmark purchased part of the Repetto Ranch in 1887 and called the settlement Montebello (Italian for Beautiful Mountain). The town itself, however, was named Newmark. Electing to secede from the City of Monterey Park, incorporated just four years prior, voters chose the name Montebello over Newmark upon incorporation of their new city in 1920.
Visit the online exhibit of more than 600 images from Montebello's past, courtesy of the Montebello Historical Society. Image above: Montebello High School marchers in Fall city parade on Whittier Boulevard (at Whittier and Montebello Boulevards), 1966.
City in red below. Click on map for more detailed color map of county.