The Original Farmers Market, located at the corner of Fairfax and Third Street in Los Angeles, opened in the summer of 1934, at what was then known as the Gilmore Ranch. A dozen farmers and a half dozen other vendors parked their trucks on the corner and began selling produce and other items from their tailgates. The Market now features more than 100 shops, visited by an estimated 3 million people each year (approximately one-third being tourists). Vendors at The Market speak about 23 different languages. The Farmers Market website offers other interesting facts about The Market.